The purpose of this course is to equip teachers with research-based knowledge and strategies to provide effective vocabulary instruction. Most importantly, this course provides teachers with the necessary tools they need to meet the needs of all of their students.
By the End of This Course You’ll Be Able To
- Learners will be able to define the different types of vocabulary and describe the characteristics of vocabulary knowledge.
- Learners will be able to understand the research that underpins vocabulary and its connection to literacy development.
- Learners will be able to define academic vocabulary and effectively choose words for instruction.
- Learners will be able to identify and describe the four components of effective vocabulary instruction.
- Learners will be able to explain the characteristics of direct and indirect vocabulary instruction.
- Learners will know which vocabulary assessments to use based on purpose.
Why It Matters
Vocabulary knowledge is essential for comprehension and is a strong predictor of a child’s later reading success.
Sam is a preschool through 6th grade educator at the Atlanta Speech School